World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) is 15th June 2019
Elder abuse is any act which causes harm to an older person and is carried out by someone they know and trust such as a family member or friend.
The abuse may be physical, social, financial, psychological or sexual and can include mistreatment and neglect.
Better Place Australia has a Respecting Elders Program that supports older people with:
• Unusual or inappropriate financial activities like money being inexplicably withdrawn from their bank account
• The use of a power of attorney for purposes other than which it was intended
• Frequent and/or expensive gifts from an older person to their carer
• Belongings going missing
• A recent will or power of attorney has been made when the older person doesn’t seem capable of understanding or making such documents
• Irregular signatures on cheques
• Someone using undue influence over an older person
• The older person’s wishes not respected or ignored
• Being prevented from seeing friends and family
• Social isolation
• Increasing depression and anxiety
• Mistreatment or neglect